Chili + Fritos + Cheese = Love in a bowl
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Ancho Chile (or other dried chile)*
- 1 Large Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Can of Pinto Beans
- Hot Sauce
- Chile Powder
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
*For dried chiles, look in the international aisle of your grocery store. They will have a better selection of dried peppers and for cheaper than the produce aisle. Dried chiles don’t need to be fresh; they’re dried!
- Chop your onion, garlic, and chile (make sure you de-seed and stem your pepper before chopping)
- Sweat ingredients in a pot with olive oil on medium-low heat.
- Once onions are translucent (clear), add ground beef for browning.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add crushed tomatoes, beans, hot sauce, and spices**
- Let simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (The longer it simmers, the better it will taste.)
- Once your chili is ready, put down a layer of fritos in a bowl, scoop in chili, and top with cheese.
**Note for spices: cover the meat with chili powder until you can’t see it and that should be enough. More chili powder = spicier. For the cumin, oregano, and salt/pepper: a light dusting will do it.